ubuntu-gnome-dev team mailing list archive

Should Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 include flatpak?

Alexander Larsson asked me to get flatpak 0.8 updated in Ubuntu 16.04
and 16.10 so I'm working on that. https://launchpad.net/bugs/1656712

For zesty, ubuntu-gnome-desktop recommends
gnome-software-plugin-flatpak (which depends on flatpak). What do you
think about having ubuntu-gnome-desktop recommend flatpak on 16.04 LTS
and 16.10 too?

I'm thinking that the target audience for things like snapd and
flatpak are people using a stable base like 16.04 LTS but want to use
newer apps.

Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 and newer already include snapd. So this is a kind
of duplication.

Currently, Debian (GNOME) does not install flatpak or
gnome-software-plugin-flatpak by default. I'm guessing that most other
GNOME distros do but I haven't checked.

If the Flatpak SRUs are accepted this week, there's just enough time
to get this in to Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.2 if we wanted it (16.04.2 is now
scheduled for February 2).

Anyway, even if we don't install it by default, it will at least be
easily available without needing to use a PPA so that's good news.

Thanks,
Jeremy