ubuntu-gnome-development team mailing list archive

Three weeks of testing beginning week of July 18th

As the title says, we’re tentatively facing three straight weeks of iso and upgrade testing beginning the week of July 18th. I’m in hopes of recruiting some help with this testing effort because disability is seriously limiting my ability to perform the needed tests in a timely manner.

Week of July 18th:

The first point release of Xenial (16.04.1) is due on July 21st so we need to test both i386 and amd64 installation media. We also need to perform upgrade tests for both architectures from all four available HWE versions of Trusty. To do so we’d need to start with the proper Trusty installation media and then apply all standard updates before performing the release upgrade tests:

14.04.1 w/OEM Trusty HWE → Xenial
14.04.2 w/Utopic HWE → Xenial
14.04.3 w/Vivid HWE → Xenial
14.04.4 w/Wily HWE → Xenial

We should also perform Wily → Xenial upgrades since Wily will have just reached EOL.

Week of July 25th:

There is no official test case for this, but shortly after the release of 16.04.1 and 14.04.5 Trusty users who decline the Trusty → Xenial upgrade and installed using the 14.04.2, 14.04.3, and 14.04.4 media will be presented with HWE EOL upgrades. For reference see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Since there is no official test case I’m cooking up my own based on this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Desktop

We’d simply change each and every wily to xenial. I’ll give that a trial run when I’m fairly certain that the entire Xenial HWE stack has landed in the Trusty daily builds. I won’t be surprised if we need to repeat those tests again after the release of 14.04.5 but we should know ahead of time about any problems.

To be thorough we should perform tests beginning with 14.04.2, 14.04.3, and 14.04.4 installation media so we know that all three HWE stacks that go HWE EOL can be updated to a Xenial HWE w/o problems.

Week of August 1st:

The final point release of Trusty (14.04.5) is due on August 4th so we’ll need to perform installation tests with both i386 and amd64 images. Since we had no Precise and all other prior releases have gone EOL there are no upgrade tests to perform.

Images and test cases for 16.04.1 and 14.04.5 will be available at the QA Tracker:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/

Daily builds are already available but those who use the LTS daily images for testing should be aware that proposed is enabled and it doesn’t seem to be possible to disable proposed after installing with the LTS daily images:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-properties/+question/295277

I'm going to begin setting up a test suite next week to perform most of the upgrade tests but each upgrade test represents about 3 to 3 1/2 hours of time expended so I'd appreciate any and all help anyone can extend. Early testing is welcome if you can't be available on the days official iso/upgrade testing will be performed. The sooner we know about a bug the sooner we can figure out how to fix it.

Sorry I haven't been of any use with Xenial SRU testing but I've been so busy I've not even had time to actually transition to using Xenial as my daily driver (and Trusty is just solid as a rock). Also my left hand is becoming more useless 2+ years since my stroke and the torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder even limits the use of my right hand so I continue to slow down.

Lance