ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Software Center instead of gnome-packagekit
I think we should use Ubuntu Software Center by default instead of
"Software" (gnome-packagekit or gpk) for the Ubuntu GNOME Remix.
- Ubuntu Software Center is one of Ubuntu's best features with ratings
and reviews, screenshots, app icons, access to commercial software,
and decent search.
- Software on the other hand is currently pretty disappointing
(although it will be the default in Debian Wheezy). I think the
proposed Software redesign is a ways off still.
- Other GNOME distros (Mageia and openSUSE) ship their own software
- This also means that we would switch to Ubuntu's Update Manager
instead of the gnome-packagekit updater which is hidden in the
Software app menu.
- Both Update Manager and the Software Center get a lot more attention
from Ubuntu developers than the gpk tools.