ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Defining ubuntu-gnome project goals

Hi all.

2. Our relationship with GNOME
       * What gnome packages to be included (What defines gnome
         experience), just core (shell, gcc) or core plus applications
         (files, web, video, photo, documents...) or core plus
         applications and platform (systemd, packagekit....)?
Please note here that gnome is moving towards a highly coherent and
integrated desktop and more and more applications are redesigned to
the gnome HIG.
       * What to do when some specific applications are not popular or
         not up to the standards
Replace, replace temporarily, Keep them and help testing/find bugs
etc., keep it installed side by side along with other temporary
defaults.

If we are aiming at being a GNOME distribution based on the power of
Ubuntu (which I hope we are), then we should provide the nearest
experience to upstream GNOME as can be (core, applications, platform ans
respect default configuration / look and feel). The only exceptions
could be for applications that don't exist in the GNOME world, or where
the GNOME version lacks very important features, or is not mature
enough. For example, Ubuntu Software Center, LibreOffice and Firefox (or
Chrome) could be installed by default instead of gnome-software-manager,
Abiword/Gnumeric and Epiphany. BUT, for each new release of GNOME, those
choices should be re-evaluated, and, if the GNOME app finally gets the
features it lacked, it should replace the "foreign" app in the default
install. For example, once Epiphany supports Flash natively, it should
replace Firefox / Chrome, and once (if ever?) Abiword / Gnumeric are
able to import / export MS file formats perfectly, they should replace
LibreOffice...

3. What is our intended userbase (and any constraints that puts on
us)?

I think we should aim at the same user base as GNOME aims at. Else, we
wouldn't be Ubuntu *GNOME* remix (or whatever the name actually is :)).

First, a disclaimer - reading Julien's response, I am on the same page as he.

Having said that, I believe there are two distinct sets of goals at work here:

1. those (like Julien and I) who would like to have "the Ubuntu
experience" in a Gnome desktop environment, as an alternative to Unity

Imho, this is something that is really needed. I see a very high demand, here.

We can still deliver a rich GNOME environment but with applications that have proven to be good, like Firefox, LibreOffice and the Software Center.

2. those who would like a pure Gnome experience

GNOME OS is targeting the same, even if it's in a very early stage.

Greets
Marcus