ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Re: where do I start?

Hi Bill,

Many applications are in the repositories already, some are not and the
Debian/UBuntu maintainers work toward getting them added as their time
allows. Each application has a two descriptions, a brief one line, then
a detailed description.

These descriptions, if the package resides within the repository, can be
viewed multiple ways. The most common being, through the Software Center
or applications such as Gdebi, then from the command line with something
along the lines of:

For FLDIGI:
apt-cache show fldigi | grep --color -E "Description|$"

If your just starting out with *Nix, I'd say sticking with the
repository packages ( via the Software Center ) is probably a good path
to follow; then once your more familiar with the various packaging
aspects, maybe add some PPA's and such, or you may choose to jump in
with both feet and add them straight away, it's up to you.

In general, "most" ham applications are (1) package. You simply install
it, and it takes care of dependencies and such needed to run. There are
exception to this of course, where some folks create what is called a
meta-package that does nothing more than install a bunch of other
applications to save time and key stroks.

PPA's are Personal Package Archives. They are used for a number of
reasons; to add packages that are not officially in the repositories, to
provide more timely updates, some just for bleeding edge testing, the
list of reason is endless really. PPA's can also be used to install and
maintain multiple packages or package updates.

Most of the popular ham applications available to Linux are included in
the repository. They may not be the very latest version, but they are
there nonetheless. Exploring the Software Center will give you allot of
information to ponder / chew on.

73's
Greg, KI7MT