ubuntu-java team mailing list archive

Fwd: Status of Maven packaging support

All,
    Thierry was having some issues with the list moderation, but
please find below the message he would have sent:

Hello everyone,

As promised in recent ubuntu-java team meetings, here is a post summing
up the current status of the Maven packaging support in Ubuntu.

The idea is to enable the use of Maven in Debian packaging, by removing
everything that makes Maven look online for dependency resolution and
artifact download, and make it use system-installed libraries instead.

I drafted a spec[1] and linked a blueprint[2] about it, you are very
welcome to participate in that draft. Since nobody had better ideas, the
proposed implementation is to adopt the maven-jpp patchset that Deepak
Bhole presented to us on the 20080724 meeting [3], with a few tweaks to
make it more Debian.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JavaTeam/Specs/MavenSupportSpec
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/maven-packaging-support
[3] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/07/24/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt

The current status on this is:
- A proof-of-concept maven2 package integrating an unmodified maven-jpp
patchset is available in my PPA [4]
- It needs some tweaking/testing on a real maven project to validate the
implementation proposal

[4] https://launchpad.net/~tcarrez/+archive

Unfortunately I cannot commit much more time on this right now, and I
lack the maven experience that would allow me to properly validate
everything. So we basically need someone or somegroup with some
practical maven experience that would be ready to take over the maven2
patching and try to package a helloworld maven project.

What needs to be done at this point is :
- Install the patched maven2
- Create the missing required maven-jpp directories and items :
 - /usr/share/maven2/repository/JPP -> /usr/share/java symlink
 - /usr/share/maven2/default_poms/
 - /etc/maven/maven2-versionless-depmap.xml
 - /usr/share/java/maven2/default_poms ->
/usr/share/maven2/default_poms symlink
 - ...
- Create a helloworld project with a dependency on whatever.jar
- Add what would have been installed by a maven-jpp-ized whatever.jar
 - /usr/share/maven2/poms/JPP.whatever.pom
 - include whatever.jar depmap in /etc/maven/maven2-depmap.xml
 - ...
- Build a debian package of the helloworld project by calling mvn with
-Dmaven2.offline.mode -Dmaven2.ignore.versions -Dmaven2.usejppjars

I can take some time to explain some details and help whoever is
interested, just ping me on #ubuntu-java.

Cheers !

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team