ubuntu-l10n-cy team mailing list archive

Re: Doubts about plural forms, and parts of speech

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Tony Pursell
<ajp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 18:52 +0200, Leandro Regueiro wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Leandro Regueiro
>> <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Sorry for replying again. In
>> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/l10n/pluralforms#c I saw that
>> Welsh has 4 plural forms, and if I see well you only talked about two.
>>

> Ok. This is as a consequence of the Welsh system of 'mutations'. Some
> initial letters of nouns change in particular circumstances.
>
> For instance, after 2 ('dau' or 'dwy' - masculine/feminine) a 'soft'
> mutation occurs as follows:
>
> p > b
> t > d
> c > g
> b > f
> d > dd
> g is lost
> ll > l
> rh > r
> m > f
>
> resulting in different forms of the words beginning with these letters.
> Similar mutations happen for other numbers. After 'un' (one) soft
> mutation happens, but only for feminine nouns.
>
> Also, after numbers, Welsh always uses the singular form of the noun.
>
> But mutated nouns are still either 'singular' or 'plural'.
>
> Does that explain things for you.
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony and Christopher. This is very difficult to understand.

If I understood it well you have "singular" and "plural", but you also
have something called "mutations", that depending on the number of
"items" will cause one of four possible mutations that alter the
following word (or words). And after a number you always use
"singular". So when you put the equation "nplurals=4; plural= (n==1) ?
0 : (n==2) ? 1 : (n != 8 && n != 11) ? 2 : 3" in Gettext translation
files you put it only for mutations, and not for plural/singular like
the other languages do.

So given the following list:

0 dogs
1 dog
2 dogs
8 dogs
11 dogs
any other number dogs

you always use the singular form of "dogs" after the number, and if
there is another word after "dogs" you alter it using the "mutations",
and that is the only reason why you use the equation, isn't it?

My idea is to allow a system that for a given concept you can specify
several translations for language, and for several languages. For
example:

dog (english)
can (galician; masculine singular)
cadela (galician; feminine singular)
cans (galician; masculine plural)

so when you type the text, you select the language, the part of speech
(noun for example), and if it is applicable (you won't put "plural"
for a "verb", at least for galician language) automatically the system
reloads the list of possible plural forms and shows the following for
galician language (the same for english):

singular (n=1)
plural (n!=1)

for french will show:

singulier (n<2)