ubuntu-l10n-he team mailing list archive

[Blueprint desktop-o-cd-localization] Localized CD image tools

Blueprint changed by Martin Pitt:

Whiteboard changed:
- pitti, 2011-05-19: I wrote the first draft (see linked wiki page). I'd like to get some feedback about this before I submit this for "pending approval":
-  - @Mark: Are you happy with the general approach? -> he confirmed
-  - @Kyle: Anything which you would like to see/need for OEM projects which is commonly customized? -> done
-  - @Didier: Anything which the French loco team needs/has done in the past? -> done
-  - @Colin: I'd appreciate a general sanity check. -> done
-
- kyleN, 2011-05-19:
- Editorial comment: the list of things that can be customized at the top is not the same as the items detailed below. It seems like a complete list, but on closer inspection it isn't.
- -----> pitti: what is missing? the "customizable settings" in Design doesn't mention locale as this isn't something that can be changed via a package. I mentioned it in implementation how to set it properly.
- -----> modifying the launcher defaults is missing from the summary, first sentence. And browser default homepage and search engine.
- ------> pitti: ah, the summary should merely list examples, I clarified that now. The list in "Design" is the full one.
-
-  - Should explicitly support configuring (adding/removing) unity-2d launchers too. (In natty, the unity-2d launchers are configured differently than with unity, although they may converge in oneiric). unity-2d requires desktop file, icon and gconf key (/desktop/unity-2d/launcher/favorites).
- -----> pitti: added to spec
-
   - Configure home dash apps: these must be customized for some locales, particularly Qin, so this pkg should provide a means to do this. Again, specifically for unity and for unity-2d, which use different approaches.
  ------> pitti: current unity does not allow customization, it will just display the default browser/MUA/photo handler.

   - Can a mechanism for installing extra pkgs be devised that does not use depends? That is, we may want to add a pkg to a locale-specific image via this package. But the user may not actually want that package and may try to remove it. However, if this settings pkg *depends* on it, and if they deinstall it, then they will lose the entire set of locale settings, which would be very bad. Perhaps instead the the postinst script can loop through the pkgs listed in the depends.txt and recommends.txt files to install them, thus keeping them discrete? This is a *theoretical* issue, not a requirement of OEM.
  ------> pitti: you can use Recommends:, which will install it by default, but allow the user to remove it; or just add it to live-build configuration and don't use the depends mechanism here.

-  - Note on input methods. the first user story about Li indicates that input methods should be 'ready and active'. Input methods should be installed by default, but they should not be 'active', neither during the installer nor during the user session. Instead, users in these locales turn them on and off with Ctrl + Space as needed. This is because many application contexts do not accept complex characters, for example, browser URL, and installer password.
- ----> pitti: that's what I meant actually (just that the input methods should all be installed and configured); clarified in the wiki
-
- didrocks, 2011-05-19:
-  - the overall process seems good. We can maybe imagine a simple ui to wrap the package creation/edition, but that's more a pet project once the fundation is working. :)
-  - not sure we want the wallpaper to be changed. I haven't done that in purpose with our french respin as for me, it was part of the "brand" and we don't to change the brand, isn't it?
-     ----->   pitti: I think that's something the OEM guys would like to do, though
-     ----->kyleN: yes, we do configure the desktop background image
-
-  - we changed the default startup page to http://start.ubuntu-fr.org/11.04/ (this page keeps the referal id). Indeed, start.ubuntu.com/ didn't have the translations at first (and http://start.ubuntu.com/current/ seems to be stucked at 10.10 right now), and we want that the documentation point to our wiki (http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org), our forum (http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org) and also to offer the option for our French loco-team goodies/CD sell (second link on the page).
- Is it something that can be centralized on start.ubuntu.com? (not sure that every loco wants to maintain its own page, ensuring they are keeping the referential id…)
-     ------> pitti: added to spec now
-
   - we translate as well for wubi "autorun.inf" which isn't localizable
      ------> pitti: This seems outside of what you can currently do with a mere package install; I think this needs packaging changes in wubi first? Seems like a nice idea for future development, though. Added to "Possible future improvements".
-
-  - we translate some casper content (like in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/casper and /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/casper-bottom/10adduser), like the name onto the CD, the folders added from the live user, how can we translate that properly as right now, I'm just sedding (yurk, yeah…)? (I think we can forget to localize casper-md5check, but as we are picky, we translated it in the past, recompiling our own casper-md5check.)
- -> if we want to do that, we need to recompile the initramfs per local, not sure we really want to do that.
-     -------> pitti: Rebuilding initramfs is not a problem, but changing files from other packages is not something which we want to do in ubuntu-l10-* IMHO. A better solution here would be to add shell gettext support to initramfs-tools, and rebuild the initramfs after installing the langpacks. Added to "Possible future improvements".

   - IIRC, we got a bug when we forced "fr" by default in the gfxboot, which made us changing the ubuntu live session (for the live cd) to set it to French (/var/cache/gdm/ubuntu/dmrc). Better to check if it's still the case or not).
      -----> pitti: thanks for pointing out, will do that when testing

-  - rhythmbox was using a text xml file last time I checked, but that probably changed.
-    ------> pitti: I haven't checked that, but providing an updated XML with a diversion sounds easy to do as well.
-
-  - Extra packages: we installed some extra packages which are not in main (for instance my book under CC:BY-SA, simplecommeubuntu, which is in universe (not updated yet to 11.04 though)). This give a nice documentation that new users seems to appreciate. Hence the question about extra packages: do we still confine to main or do we allow universe packages?
-    ------> pitti: updated the spec with a blob about this
-
   - As well, can we replace an existing package by another one? If we look at the Examples/, they are not translated at all. What we do, is to rename the folder, and get a translated copy of the examples that we (ubuntu-fr) provides on our own. Of course, we can see that issue as the "example-content" package not being localized which can be fixed that way.
    -----> pitti: I don't want to replace/remove existing packages; let's fix the actual bugs instead, like making e-c translatable
-
-  - We are even adding extra files, like translations for music and videos (lyrics translated, srt for subtitle on the winner video of the free culture showcase)…
- Can that be an additional package?
- ------> pitti: Yes, I think it ought to be packaged, as otherwise you could never upgrade or fix them, and having unowned files in /usr is also unclean.
-
- hennekn, 2011-05-19:
- - adjust the default print properties in system-printer-config and other applications like Firefox and Evince. For example Germany could have DIN A4 as default paper size while the US has Letter as default paper size.
- pitti, 2011-05-19 @ hennekn: default paper size is already covered by the locale setting, so that's not something loco CDs even should be able to customize. If a locale is wrong, we need to fix the locale instead.
-
- pitti, 2011-05-1- pitti, 2011-05-19: Updated wiki spec after discussion with Colin.
- - Clarified non-co-installability, better package names, and how to handle locale/keyboard settings.

--
Localized CD image tools
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-cd-localization