ubuntu-l10n-ug team mailing list archive

Fw: Call for creating and testing localized ISO images

From: David Planella <david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Call for creating and testing localized ISO images
To: "Ubuntu Translators" <ubuntu-translators@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ubuntu local community team (LoCo) contacts" <loco-contacts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2011, 6:46 PM

Hi all,

You are probably aware of this spec to create localized ISOs:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-cd-localization

In a nutshell, language packs are going away from the main Ubuntu ISO
(as you know, we could never include them all anyway), and instead,
we're providing LoCos with a standard set of tools to create ISOs which
not only can be shipped with a given language enabled and installed by
default, but also allow setting other defaults appropriate for the given
language/region/culture.

At this point, I'd like to ask if any of you guys would be willing to
sign up for creating and testing the first localized images for your
language/LoCo.

The tools are still being created, so for now we are not looking at
creating them already, but rather for a list of contacts of people
committed to creating and testing the first prototypes when the
infrastructure is ready.

I've just drafted a page to coordinate this process:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/LocalizedImagesRollout

Note that the FAQ is still in a pretty crude state, as the actual
project is to be completed by release date and thus it is still in
progress. Therefore, if you've got any questions, please feel free to
ask and we'll try to answer and include them in the FAQ. Please do read
the spec first, as your question might already be answered there.

So if you'd like to contribute to the ISO image for your language/LoCo,
please add yourself to the table in the wiki page.

I'm very excited about this project, which I think it's going to be
awesome for LoCos. Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella