Collaboration between the Ubuntu Manual and Docs Team

Hello,

Firstly, let me apologize - I believe the Manual and Docs Team may have got
off on the wrong foot. I'd just like to make it clear that we are not in
competition with the docs team, and we aren't trying to insinuate that you
aren't doing your job correctly. I've changed some of the justification on
our wiki page to be a bit kinder to the existing docs, as per some feedback
from Alan Pope.

We are aiming at a different sector of Ubuntu users than the docs team, but
a lot of the material can be interchanged. There has been a need for a
manual such as this for quite a long time, and I'm not entirely sure why
something similar to this project hasn't flourished before. There is a lot
of feedback on blog articles, forum threads and from our contributors and
the community in general that this is what Ubuntu needs. This is one of the
reasons we have been quite successful in awareness and recruitment, because
it is a *good idea.*

As you may have noticed, we've received quite a lot of contributors,
interest and media attention. In turn, we are definitely on track for an
excellent release that should be delivered in time for Lucid. It won't only
be available in English, as it is also being translated into 25 other
languages at a rapid pace. After our project is completed, not only will all
of our material be available for the docs team to use at their will, but I
will also offer to help with improving the existing wiki documentation
myself, and I will try my best to bring some of our main contributors with
me.

I'd like to ask what else the docs team would like from the manual team. As
documentation, we technically fall under your jurisdiction umbrella, and you
guys were here long before we were. I'm sure we can collaborate on many more
fronts than just sharing content and contributors.

I'd like to reiterate that both teams are working towards the same goal of
improving Ubuntu education. I'm a firm believer in the fact that the
operating system, technically, is fantastic - but we need to educate the
masses more to make them realize this, and allow them to efficiently utilize
the full potential that Ubuntu has to offer.

Kind Regards,
--
Benjamin Humphrey

Ubuntu Manual Project Leader