Re: Bengali translation

Hello.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Nasir Khan Saikat <nasir8891@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kevin ,
> I am working as a Bengali translator and i know some people who are working
> in this project. Most of them are enlisted here. So i think you can ask your
> question here.

Fair enough; here goes:

First, I wanted to thank you for helping translate the Ubuntu Manual
into Bengali.

I'm working on the LaTeX code that's used to compile the manual.
Unfortunately, the language package we use doesn't include an Bengali
module.  Fortunately, I can create one fairly easily with your help.

The language modules contain the translations of a few simple words,
handle the printing of dates, and a few other minor typographic
details.

Could you translate the following words to Bengali for me?

1. "Preface" -- the name of the introductory chapter of a book.
2. "References" -- the heading of a list of references or a
bibliography at the end of a book.
3. "Abstract" -- the heading of an abstract or executive summary of a document.
4. "Bibliography" -- the heading of a list of references or a
bibliography at the end of a research article.
5. "Chapter" -- used in the heading of a chapter (for example,
"Chapter 1. In the Beginning") or in reference to a chapter (for
example, "see Chapter 1 for more information").
6. "Appendix" -- similar to Chapter, but for appendices.
7. "Contents" -- the heading of the table of contents at the beginning
of a book.
8. "List of Figures" -- the heading of the list of figures at the
beginning of a book.
9. "List of Tables" -- the heading of the list of tables at the
beginning of a book.
10. "Index" -- the heading of the index at the back of a book.
11. "Figure" -- used in the captions figures/images (e.g., "Figure 2:
An apple").
12. "Table" -- used in the captions of tables (e.g., "Table 3: Lemonade sales").
13. "Part" -- the heading of a section of the book (e.g., "Part IV:
Linux Conquers the World").
14. "encl" -- abbreviation of "enclosure" or "enclosures"; used at the
bottom of business letters to indicate that additional pages were sent
with the letter.
15. "cc" -- abbreviation of "carbon copy"; used in letters and memos
to indicate additional recipients.
16. "To" -- used in letters and memos to indicate the primary recipient.
17. "Page" -- used in reference to a specific page of a book (e.g.,
"See page 37 for more details.").
18. "see" -- used in the index of a book to redirect the reader to a
different index entry (e.g., "apples, see fruit").
19. "see also" -- used in the index of a book to direct the reader to
additional relevant entries (e.g., "apples, see also oranges").
20. "Proof" -- introduces a mathematics proof.
21. "Glossary" -- the heading of a glossary (a list of words and their
definitions) at the end of a book.

I also need to know the format of the date that you prefer.  In this
case, I mean the 'long date' (e.g., "January 29, 2010").  What is the
order of the day, month, and year?  What punctuation is used?  (If you
use a non-Gregorian calendar, please let me know which calendar is
used.)

Also, I need a translation of each of the months:

1. January
2. February
3. March
4. April
5. May
6. June
7. July
8. August
9. September
10. October
11. November
12. December

Are there any typographic peculiarities that you can think of?  For
instance, is there a space before a semicolon (;) or colon (:)?  Does
this language use a numbering system other than Arabic (i.e., other
than 1, 2, 3, etc.)?

I would like to contribute your translations back to the LaTeX
language package (with credit to you, of course) so that others may
benefit from them.  The language modules are licensed under the LaTeX
Project Public License (LPPL): http://www.latex-project.org/lppl.txt.
May I have your permission to contribute your translations back to the
LaTeX project under the LPPL?

Finally, what typefaces do you recommend for setting the Ubuntu Manual
in Bengali?

If you have any questions, require more context or background on the
words to be translated, or think I should ask someone else for help
with this translation, please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help!

--Kevin Godby  <godbyk@xxxxxxxxx>