  *-display
       product: C77 [GeForce 8200]
       vendor: nVidia Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       version: a2
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:21 memory:fd000000-fdffffff
memory:f0000000-f7ffffff(prefetchable)
memory:fa000000-fbffffff(prefetchable) ioport:ec00(size=128)
memory:febe0000-febfffff(prefetchable)

I'm using proprietary nVidia 185.18.36

$ xrandr | grep 800x600
   800x600        74.0     75.0     76.0     77.0     78.0     79.0

$ xrandr -s 800x600 worked, although it did mess with my well-positioned
icons on Gnome Panel :D

---
Regards
Martin Lukeš
P.S.: Please keep the communication history