Chapter Icons

Hi!

If I will be in support of having chapter icons depends on whether we
can find good metaphors and solid designs.

Chapters, with # comments and : icon ideas (yes, quick, cheap not very
expressive and vague in text form)

Prologue
# Welcome, Contact, Philosophy, History

I  Start here

1  Installation
   # Download, free CD, installation, Wubi
   : Arrow pointing down to hard-drive

2  Around your Desktop
   # GNOME, desktop, panels, notifications, applications menu, windows,
     Nautilus
   : Abstract Screenshot

3  Default Applications
   # Getting online, browsing, email, contacts, schedule, instant
     messaging, photos, video, music, notes
   : Box full of stuff?

4  Preferences and Hardware
   # Keyboard, mouse, displays, printer, sound, usb, cd/dvd-writers,
     web-cams, scanners, firewire, bluetooth
   : Computer (case, monitor, keyboard, at least)

5  Software and Packaging
   # Ways to obtain software, Managing Software
   : Package / Represent installed software as collection of
     rectangles, indicate addition and removal with arrows

II Advanced topics

6  The Command Line
   : Terminal (basically rectangle with prompt)

7  Security
   # Permissions, user, groups, firewall, encryption
   : Shield

8  Troubleshooting
   # Boot, lost password, graphics issues, hardware issues, maintenance
   : Wrench / band-aid / life-belt

9  Learning more about Linux
   # FLOSS, distributions, other applications
   : Book shelf / Owl

A License

Credits

---------

I will take care of adjusting the title page design to the new Ubuntu
identity soon. Today I asked for the definite values of the orange and
aubergine colors and learned that the design team was still waiting for
proofs (test prints) to decide on that :}

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/