Re: Name Drop!

As a follow-up to my previous mailing, I should note that Bruce
Byfield also mentions the manual in his column here:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3871481_1/Ubuntu-Lucid-Lynx-Ubuntus-Most-Innovative.htm

A snippet:

"In the drive towards usability, Lucid is also reaching back to revive
the idea of including a manual. This is an idea that has hardly been
heard of since the Dot-Com Era, when companies tried to sell Linux in
retail boxes. Yet it is an obvious one for a distribution that hopes
to attract large numbers of new desktop users. The Ubuntu manual is
not shipped with the beta, and is currently just under two-thirds
complete, but is available as a PDF download.

When finished, the manual should be about 150 pages. As might be
expected, its focus is on the GNOME desktop, as well as a description
of open source practices, although more advanced sections on the
command line and troubleshooting are currently listed but largely
unwritten. The pages published so far are written in a clear style and
are well laid-out, but the real question is whether the manual will be
use. Possibly, a series of videos might be more likely to be used,
although, unlike the manual, they would need to be published on a
separate CD."