Things to do

Hello, all.

We've had a few people posting to the list recently asking how they
can help.  Here's a list of some of the ways you can give us a hand:

TRANSLATORS
We still need help finishing the translations for the first edition of
Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04.  If you'd like to help translate,
you can find some instructions at
http://ubuntu-manual.org/getinvolved/translators.

Also, we're still in need of editors for many of the translations.
Translation editors are in charge of ensuring the translations are
correct, the formatting of the book looks good, and has the final say
in when the translated manual is released.  If you're interested in
being a translation editor, please email me directly with your full
name, email address, Launchpad ID, and language.  We currently only
have translation editors for Asturian, Bengali, German, Greek, English
(UK), and Galician.

AUTHORS AND EDITORS
We're planning on releasing a second edition of Getting Started with
Ubuntu 10.04 to correct any bugs and fill in any gaps left in the
first edition.  To help with this, read through the first edition
(which you can download from http://ubuntu-manual.org/) and file bug
reports when you see any errors in spelling, grammar, formatting,
wrong information, missing information, etc.  You can file bug reports
through Launchpad at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual.

DEVELOPERS
We have a big list of new features planned for the next release of
Quickshot, our multilingual screenshot-capturing program.  Quickshot
is written in Python and has both a GNOME frontend and a web-based
backend.  If you're interested in helping out with Quickshot
development, please contact the Quickshot developers.  You can find
the contact information at http://launchpad.net/quickshot.

We also have some pretty big plans for the Maverick release. In
addition to our PDFs and printed books, we'd like to release an online
version of our manual.  But we're not stopping there!  We're working
with the Ubuntu docs team and the Ubuntu learning team to pool our
content into a single website.  We have a lot of work ahead on this
project including the design of the site (including graphic design, UI
design, and web design) and the implementation (selecting a source
document format; converting between different markup formats such as
Docbook, Mallard, and LaTeX; writing a GUI editor for writing text in
the chosen format, and so much more).  If you're interested in helping
out with this project, you can read the sketch of our idea and view
some mockups at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-support-and-learning-center and post an
email to the Ubuntu docs mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc.

OTHER WAYS TO HELP
If you'd like to help, but don't want to work on any of the above,
send us an email or come talk to us in the IRC channel (we're in
#ubuntu-manual on Freenode) -- we'll come up with something you can do
that fits your talents.

As always, if you have any questions, comments, suggestions,
criticisms, etc., feel free to contact us!

Thanks!

--Kevin Godby