Re: Ubuntu extra documentaion library (Working title)

Hi Luke,

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 10:51 +0100, Luke-Jennings wrote:
> > I think that there is a great need for such a program.
> >
> > What I would like to know is, what position/role would your program be
> > in regards to the already existing "ubuntu help center"(the icon
> > besides the firefox)
> >
> > Would it replace/complement it? Or those it have core goals that are
> > irrelevant of it?
> I see the program as complementing the existing help centre by providing
> a location to find all of the documentation produced by the teams in
> formats such as pdfs odt and odps etc .

This sounds like a great idea. Currently, we only have help.ubuntu.com
as a "documentation portal", and other docs (training, manual etc.)
aren't currently aggregated there. They should be!

> > If it is to replace or complement it, maybe we could reuse or extend
> > existing infrastructure.
> I had not considered extending yelp however I think that the existing
> infrastructure in yelp does not provide the functionality that would be
> needed to create a library of files. I think that it would be easier
> create a separate program.

It would be better to extend the existing infrastructure. Yelp is
capable of displaying web pages. Have you considered making some
modifications to help.ubuntu.com so that is can provide the "library of
files" that you're thinking of? We could then display that in Yelp (or
any other browser, on any other platform).

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull