Re: Meeting Minutes - 12th February 2011

On 02/12/2011 06:25 PM, Chris Woollard wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Manual Team  Members,
>
> We had a good meeting this evening. The minutes of the meeting are
> available here.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Meetings/archive/meeting-2011-02-12
>

> We are also planning another meeting in the not so distant future.
>
> If you have any agenda items, please insert them here.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Meetings
>

> Thanks
> Chris Woollard

I'm sorry I missed the meeting. If I get off work early enough in two
weeks (or so), and am able to, I'll definitely be there.

I read through the minutes and the log, and also looked at the Project
Manager's role and the test site. I kind of reinterpreted the roles in
my own way, and would like to share them.

Project Manager's role:

Coordinate and "schmooz" with other aspects of Ubuntu and the community.
 "schmooz" is a slang term like buttering up or "networking" with them,
to get them to support your project.

Set the release schedule and coordinate with the Editor In Chief.

Handle the publicity aspect of the project (advertising when the manual
is complete, getting interest, media relations)

Other jobs that a CEO would have in a company.

Editor In Chief's role:

Coordinate with the Chapter Editors to get the pages done.
Create the milestones which should meet the release schedule.
Final proofreading of the completed manual before it's published.
Acts like a "Plant Manager" in terms of roles and duties (for those who
are familiar with manufacturing--especially in the United States)

Chapter Editors

Coordinate with Authors and Screenshot creators to make sure everything
is right.
Pushes the Authors/Screenshot creators to stick with the schedule given.
Proofreads the manual before submitting it for final approval.
Similar to a Supervisor in a department.

As for the test.ubuntumanual.org site, I like how it looks. It's more in
the style of modern websites, with the tabs and sub-tabs on the pages.

One thought that I had was that we could use this to our advantage (when
it comes to the "Get Involved" pages that c7p and I are working on.  We
could create subtabs for people who want to use the script to do
everything, people who want to use the CLI and manually configure it
(which is essentially what's up there now), and people who want to use
GroundControl to do everything.

This way, we're not shooting a whole bunch of information at the
potential author, and confusing them.  Plus, with minor revisions, the
current page is pretty much completed.

Have a great day:)
Patrick.