Meeting Minutes - 21 April 2012

Minutes of the General Meeting of the Ubuntu Manual Team
#ubuntu-manual on irc.freenode.net

Meeting log: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/04/21/%23ubuntu-manual.html

In attendance were:
* ajmontag
* bsvelan_
* c7p1
* godbyk (chair)
* hannie
* kereltis
* KevQuirk
* meetingology
* pfjappaco
* unofficialresult

Kevin (godbyk) called the meeting to order at 20:08 UTC.

New "job" openings for the 12.04 cycle (20:11 UTC)

We still have some openings for authors and editors.  You can view the
current openings at <http://ubuntu-manual.org/jobs>. If you're
interested in one of the open positions, please email
<jobs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Meet the new authors (20:14 UTC)

A number of new authors and editors were in attendance at the meeting.
Each meeting attendee introduced themselves and explained what part of
the manual they were working on.  See the meeting log for further
information.

Establish schedule for 12.04 release cycle (20:39 UTC)

The proposed schedule for the release of Getting Started with Ubuntu
12.04 is as follows:

May 31 – First draft completed: authors have updated and written new
content; screenshots are in place.
June 15 – Editors have edited and proofread content.
June 22 – Release a draft for public comment and proofreading for one
week.  Incorporate changes as they are suggested.
June 27 – Final draft is complete and all last-minute changes have been made.
June 30 – The final PDF is released on our website and printed copies
can be purchased via lulu.com.

If you have any comments or objections to this schedule, please send a
message to the Ubuntu Manual mailing list at
<ubuntu-manual@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Screenshots (21:02 UTC)

While authors will be responsible for the obtaining original
screenshots (as they know what they want to show), we will have one or
two people retake all of the screenshots for the entire manual to
ensure consistency throughout.

Hannie and Kevin will write instructions for properly taking the
screenshots and email the list soon.

We will also explore reviving the Quickshot project
<http://ubuntu-manual.org/quickshot> for use in the 12.10 edition.
Kevin will contact the Quickshot developers to see if they are
interested in reviving the project. If the original developers are
unavailable, we will seek new developers to work on the project.

The meeting was adjourned at 21:23 UTC.

--Kevin Godby