Re: Branching error?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Jim Connett <jimandmarcy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey there...any bzr experts among us?  I'm getting an error.  When I try:
>
>> bzr pull lp:ubuntu-manual
>

> ...this is what I'm getting:
>
>> bzr: ERROR: These branches have diverged. Use the missing command to see
>> how.
>> Use the merge command to reconcile them.
>

> Any safe way to reconcile this problem?

If means that you have committed some code but didn't push it to
Launchpad.  Then when you pulled, it tried to merge in the upstream
commits.

Typically when this happens to me, I do the following:

  $ bzr status   # to make sure everything looks okay so far
  $ bzr uncommit   # this will uncommit your previous commit. Note the
log message so you can retype it in a minute
  $ bzr pull   # this should actually pull in the latest from upstream
  $ bzr commit   # paste your previous log message to re-commit your work
  $ bzr push   # push your changes to Launchpad so others can see them

To reduce the chance of this happening again, I recommend committing
and pushing your changes more frequently.

--Kevin