[Ubuntu Manual] Preparing for 12.10 series

Hello all,

1)
it's time to re-organize our author team as the authoring period has
started according to the proposed schedule [1].
A safe date to start writing content is 23-30 of August, when there is
FeatureFreeze and UserInterface Freeze [2]
Now you can make an outline of your chapter/section, in case you think that
your part needs to be re-designed.

If you aren't ok with this schedule we can re-arrange it.

2)
Some authors of the previous release have stepped down so we have some
openings.
Here is the openings [3], check the "Authors 12.10" column.

{openings marked with **}

Ubuntu desktop
 -first part (we can break it in at least two sections if there is need) **
Working with Ubuntu
 -Viewing and Editing Photos **
 -Reading and composing mail **
 -Instant messaging **
 -Browsing the web **
 -Getting Online **
Learning More **

Let me comment the openings.

I think that the sections of "Working with Ubuntu" chapter will have little
changes in Ubuntu 12.10, if no changes. So if you don't have plenty of free
time these sections are for you, but still there is work to be done.
I think the same apply for the "Learning more" chapter, which is a very
well-written chapter.

The most critical are the first sections of Ubuntu desktop chapter. These
sections cover basics of Ubuntu environment (Unity, Launcher, Dash ).
I don't expect major changes in that chapter too, but i think it's a good
opportunity to re-design it a bit in order to be more helpful for the
beginner.

@Mario: Do you need a co-author on the Troubleshooting chapter ?

3)
We have been talking for a screenshot team lately. In my mind this team
would have the responsibility to capture or make sure that all screenshots
are captured according to the specifications.
Screenhots have been a headache in past release so i think some members of
the project that would ensure that all are ok with the screens,
 -you can call them "Screenshot editors"- is something that is missing from
the project and maybe is necessary.

4)
Btw i created a pad that's current hotlist of tasks, assignments etc of the
project in order not to miss anything. That pad can be a reference to basic
information for current series e.g containing the schedule, conventions,
current issues.
Fell free to use it and update it [4]

5)
It's important to get feedback from our readers (we already got feedback
from authors, editors about the 12.04 series).

I created a survey the other day in order to get feedback from readers (it
will be posted on social media).
It's draft yet, and i need your opinions and recommendations in every point
of it from the first page till every question.
I'm not a native speaker so there must be more suitable words to describe
or ask something.

Let me know if you have any warnings, suggestions, recommendations, and be
very frank :).

My main concern is to see which chapters need improvements, which are
lengthy and which sections/chapters are seen as unnecessary.
If you are author and want to ask a reader something from that survey let
me know your question.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/72B6BGP

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual/msg03415.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseSchedule
[3] http://bit.ly/QAzZmM
[4] http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/UMP-hotlist

Thank you for your time, have a great day !

--John

Follow ups