Re: Deadline reminder (12.04e2)

Hello, Carsten.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Carsten Gerlach <daswaldhorn@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I found one point which I would discuss here. There are some
> screenshots included, which have no blank line before and after the
> screenshot command. For example figure 2.5, 02-dash-home.png or figure
> 2.13 02-HUD-message.png This lead to the situation, that the sentence
> before the screenshot command and the sentence after the command are
> not separated by a space. Look for "it.After" in the line above figure
> 2.5 or "application.Activate" in the middle of the section above
> figure 2.13.
>
> There are some more figures with this "problem". The question is,
> should we fix this in the tex files, or is there a possibility
> directly in the ubuntu-manual.cls file to add in general a blank line
> to all screenshot commands? IMHO this would be a better solution
> because it will work for any future versions.

The \screenshot command removes and space before and after it. I added
that code to fix some problems we have previously (though I don't
remember the exact details now).  It's impossible to make the commands
robust in all use cases – at some point, we have to impose upon the
authors the responsibility of using them correctly.

I would suggest looking at the cases where \screenshot appears in the
middle of a paragraph and determining whether or not that paragraph
should be split into two paragraphs.  The \screenshot command does
*not* start a new paragraph.

If the text before and after a \screenshot command should be in the
same paragraph, then I'd move the \screenshot command to the top or
bottom of the paragraph.  Alternatively, if the text before and after
the \screenshot command should be separate paragraphs, then add blank
lines before and after the \screenshot command.

--Kevin