Re: Review of Getting Started with Ubuntu 12.04

Hello,

Am 25.08.2012 09:49, schrieb Kevin Godby:
> Robin Catling (of Full Circle) has written a nice review of our
> manual:
>
> <http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/2012/08/review-ubuntu-manual-project-getting.html>
>
>  I recommend reading it and thinking about what we can/should do
> to improve our manual based on this feedback.

I see three points, which Robin would like to see changed:

1. The Prologue

Quote Robin Catling:
> "Unfortunately, the team is still committing the same error I
> pointed out for the very first edition. There's too much boring
> stuff at the beginning. Intellectually important stuff; ethically
> important stuff. But boring. Why does it need to be the first
> section?"

So my idea is, to move this section to the end as a epilogue or as
appendix. The "Conventions used in this book" should be in the
prologue as well as a hint that the other interesting stuff is in the
appendix/epilogue.

2. The pictures

Quote Robin Catling:
> "Yes, it could do with a few more pictures, if only to relieve
> that some of the pages are quite bland and text-heavy."

We had a lot of pictures (24) in the branch which were unused. So
maybe we could reactivate some in the quantal release? Well this will
increase the page numbers as well...

3. The margin notes

Quote Robin Catling:
> "The sidebar text is in far too small a typeface so you can miss
> some really useful snippets."

Could we use a larger text size here? But I'm not sure how it looks
like if we use the same as in the main text.

Greetings, Carsten

- --
Hier ist mein öffentlicher GPG-Schlüssel:
http://daswaldhorn.piranho.de/gpg/