Re: keep tabs What does it mean?

Thanks all of you who answered this question of mine.
This is what I wrote to tony, who is the editor of this chapter:
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your answer. I just did not know this expression, it looked a bit awkward to me. And of course I should have consulted my dictionary first :( There is no need to adjust English language expressions so that non-native speakers understand. It is my duty as a translator to find out what a less common expression means. I already felt stupid that I sent this question to the mailing list.
Best regards,
Hannie