Re: Minutes from August 24th meeting

> Hey Thomas, thanks for the email and for checking out the minutes from today's meeting.

I was planning on attending, but I had a surprise visit from some family, and was unable to attend.

> The confusion may have occurred on both sides of your communication. My understanding from your email to me was that you wanted me "to take over the section where you had your name". Upon receipt of this request, I removed your name from the list and put my name in. I inferred from your request that you wouldn't be able to help out in authoring, and therefore, I communicated with the leads (as well as in the meeting today) about your  "departure". If this was an incorrect inference on my part, I profusely apologize and wish to remedy the misunderstanding as soon as possible.

I should've been more specific with the request I made. There is no reason to apologize. I would like to keep the Wine section, but I am unable to complete the work I have originally signed up for, and I am very sorry for that.

> I so much appreciate your passion and desire to publish information about Wine--IMO, being able to run certain Windows applications on Linux is a critical barrier to many making the transition to Linux generally, and Ubuntu specfically.

That is the main reason I requested the addition of Wine in the manual during the 13.04 release. I figured it would be good to know that there are "workarounds" to transition from the ever popular Windows OS, to Linux.

> However, I'm not sure how an intense focus on Wine fits within the confines of a manual with an audience of new users--or if it even WAS your intention to supersize the Wine section within the manual?

I did at one point in time wish to "supersize" the Wine section of the manual, but I then thought about all of the information that I could put into it. I later decided that the little section on Wine would suffice in a manual specifically to new users of Ubuntu.
> Was it your desire to publish a completely separate "manual" specific to Wine? Or did you want to expand the small Wine section in the current manual?

After some debate on extending the Wine section, I decided to create a whole new project named Wine on Ubuntu. This will be a manual specifically aimed on Wine usage using the Ubuntu Linux distribution. The little section on Wine will stay the little section in the UM.

> And how can the UMP team help you accomplish this goal?

Anyone is welcome to help in any way. Authors, Editors, Designers, Testers. That's basically all that is needed for the time being, not counting setting up the TeX files and such for the manual (which I asked Kevin to help with once this version of the UM is released)
> If you can provide us some clarity, that would be helpful. You are, of course, always welcome to author, or to step away for a time, or focus on LTS releases only...whatever fits your schedule, we can always use the help!

I will still work with the manual for every release, however, I will only be doing the Wine section of the Advanced Topics chapter. Having said that, I will have my name as an author for that chapter, but that chapter will still need a main author: one who will work on the rest of the section.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, have any questions, comments, or are willing to help, please email the list. I hope that was enough clarity Jim! :)

Thanks,
Thomas Corwin