ubuntu-microblogging team mailing list archive

Re: Groups coming to identi.ca

> I was thinking when this goes live that we should snag some groups,
> something like this:
>
> !ubuntu - This would be the equivalent of planet ubuntu. Do we want to
> have the same requirements as planet? I shouldn't think so, this seems
> like a more informal community we have, so maybe this should be more
> for ubuntu enthusiasts, like a facebook group more than a planet.
> !ubuntudevelopers - let's stick core devs and motus in here, as well
> as members who are working on stuff so they could get the word out
> about projects. I think we should stick the track feeds we made for
> uds in here, so @udskernel and all those.

Now, hang on -- my reading of the groups idea is that it's not like a
planet which aggregates other people's dents. Instead, it's more like
a mailing list -- someone has to explicitly direct a dent to it, and
then that gets automatically reposted to all subscribers. So if
someone wanted to dent about, say, UDS jaunty+1, they'd do
!udsjaunty+1 am enjoying my time here at UDS, and then anyone
following that group would get it. Unless I've misread it, it is
explicitly *not* that you put all the UDS-jaunty+1 hackers in the
group and then anything at all they post gets sent to the group.

I'm not really sure of the point of groups -- seems to me like
hashtags already do this. Have I misunderstood?

sil

--
New Year's Day --
everything is in blossom!