ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Areas with no or bad internet: apt-zeroconf

On 29/06/09 15:38, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just had a chat with Jorge Castro who hosted a Hack-a-thon at his
> house over the weekend to resurrect apt-zeroconf:
>
> http://castrojo.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/resurrecting-apt-zeroconf/
>

> It strike me as an obvious and simple solution to serving packages in
> areas with no or little internet.
>
> We should try to document its usage in our Knowledge Base.
>
> I CCed Jorge because he knows what still needs doing and Michael because
> he's the king of apt.
>
> This really excites me!
>
> Have a great day,
>  Daniel

Something like apt-zeroconfig would be very helpful to spread the
bandwidth around.

However there is one use case that it doesn't solve, which is cases
where someone has 1 (or 10) computers in location A (eg a school they
work in), and there is one internet café in the town that has internet
access. The only connection those computers have to the internet is over
sneakernet.

Rory