ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Activities

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Bjoern Hassler<bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As a rather modest contribution, I've reported a 'please package' bug for
> frontline sms, and that seems to have been picked up. (At least Ken Banks of
> frontline sms did get contacted, so hopefully it's move forward.)

That was me. I started doing some initial packaging work (doesn't
actually build right now), which can be found here:

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ngo/+junk/frontlinesms

I contacted mostly to clarify that the source is redistributable. They
have a publicly accessible source repository, but downloads of the
compiled binaries from their site require you to fill out a form
asking for it.

Here's the response for those interested:

"As for the license, it is LGPL. We're working on a developer community right
now, and hope to have this done in a couple of months, and all of this will
be there. The source is at SourceForge at the moment, but may move as part
of the process."

Like with CiviCRM, this is taking me out of my python/C/C++ packaging
comfort zone (though it's definitely been a good learning experience).
FrontlineSMS is in java, and will probably need some patching to the
build files to build from source on Ubuntu correctly. Hopefully that
will be able to be pushed upstream. Help from anyone interested in
this (especially with some Java experience) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Andrew