ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Portable repositories

Hi Alan

Alan Pope wrote:
> * I wanted to try out having an entire repo on one bootable USB stick.
> * It works.
> * Comments?

I'm not sure whether there's a big benefit in having the stick a live
mirror server, unless you'd want to use it for a dedicated machine. I
cary a copy of the latest LTS and latest Ubuntu binary mirrors with me
on my laptop (at this stage, hardy, intrepid and jaunty). When I go to a
school I copy/update their archives from my laptop, and then they're
more or less fine for Ubuntu packages without having an Internet connection.

I know a live disk that you can boot over the network is quite in
demand, there's been lots of requests from LTSP and Edubuntu users for
something like that that works out of the box. It would be nice to be
able to netboot and then be able to use a live image and then install
from there. It's something that most users should be able to do with a
bit of good documentation, assuming they already have the packages.
Isn't it something that could perhaps be fixed with documentation?

-Jonathan