ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

introduction - AA netbook - mesh networking

Hi All,

Glad to find some people interested on how Ubuntu and other technology can better empower NGO's.

I have worked with humanitarian and NGO's for the last seven years as a volunteer with www.humaninet.org.   Humaninet is a help desk for
satellite phone users.    My interest is primarily in NGO applications but sorry neither a programmer or engineer.   Have a good background on mobile
devices especially PDA's, smartphones and wireless.

Very interested in very low power computing like AA battery powered netbook type device called Gecko.
http://www.norhtec.com/products/gecko/index.html

Anyone experimented with low bandwidth mesh networking like on OLPC's XO computer that could be setup after a disaster when all communication infrastructure is destroyed (e.g. Katrina..).   One advantage of this type of low speed network is that it could be setup immediately even before any wifi or wimax networks are installed.  I posted links to one Zigbee networking product on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NGO/NoConnectivity.   Fortunately I was told the vendor for the Zigbee product Digi is working on a more generic 802.16 standards based usb adapter.

Anybody know anyone going to following Network Systems for Developing Regions conference in Montana.
http://www.dritte.org/nsdr09/program.html

Thanks
Vern