ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: open source database question

Gayl,

It looks like they've got a lot going on - awesome.

For something like this, it looks like it would benefit from a well designed
database application.  One thing to not necessarily throw out, is
browser-based access - the database doesn't necessarily need to be made
public for it to be browser based, as it could run on the local machine.

I used django for something similar, as data entry was fairly simple (using
the admin) and it allowed me to parse all the info using python and produce
a few pretty tables/graphs.  The biggest barrier to using something like
this is that there was no budget for extending it, and although what I
initially setup had more functionality than the initial specification, it
wasn't long until people were asking for additions, new reports .etc - so in
designing it you really need to think about how to make it user-extendable.

That said, I'd suggest something along those lines would work if you were
out there primarily for ICT work, and training people on the web admin could
therefore be part of the ICT training provided by the charity.  You'd want a
stable framework so that people could develop extensions themselves.

The other option is to look into something like pinax (though not
necessarily pinax itself), as an example of an extendable framework built
around the data that the organisation is keeping.  Things such as a uniform
schema for data collection can really help long term.

Sorry for the python/django-y nature of the post, there are other frameworks
too ! (I'm told)

Andy