ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Thesis on the adoption of FLOSS by the International NGO

Pierre,

I am former UN having started as a Security Officer. Then I moved across
to the Information Security Team at the ICTY and later UNAKRT. I am also
working on an MA although mine is with Kings College London on War in
the Modern World with a view to doing my dissertation on information
warfare.So you have my sympathy! I am also a SANS Giac Certified
Incident
Handler.http://www.giac.org/certification/certified-incident-handler-gcih
http://www.giac.org/certified-professional/paul-harper/125521

There is some use of Open Source software at the UN. But this tends to be on
the back end servers rather than on the desktop. I seem to recall that
DPKO was going to do a trial at a smaller mission on using desktop
software. You might want to contact UN Public Affairs to see if they can
give you more info.I think this is probably the best
way. http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/about/contact.asp

UNAKRT was, and still is funded by donor contributions rather than the
regular budget as was the case at ICTY. Therefore we didn't have the
funds for expensive proprietary security software like Silent Runner or
Encase.

Silent Runner HTTP://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,118797,00.asp
Encase: http://www.scmagazine.com/guidance-software-encase-forensic-v7/review/3872/

Wireshark and Caine were open source equivalents which got the job done
although perhaps without so many bells and whistles.

Wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/
Caine: http://www.caine-live.net/
A good article on Caine's use in Afghanistan. Shows that it is serious
software.http://www.linux-magazine.com/w3/issue/122/032-034_caine.pdf

One issue that I didn't see in your paper was the perception that free
and open source is less secure than proprietary. I heard this from a
number of UN IT managers. Of course nothing is bullet proof as the
recent OpenSSL Hearbleed debacle shows.

http://www.troyhunt.com/2014/04/everything-you-need-to-know-about.html

To my knowledge the UN lacks a clear guidance on the use of free and
open source software. The UN really needs something like the  US DOD
"Clarifying Guidance Regarding Open Source Software (OSS)".

US DOD Open Source FAQ:
http://dodcio.defense.gov/OpenSourceSoftwareFAQ.aspx

Bruce Schneier has a lot of stuff on the Open versus Proprietary
Security
debate. https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/06/open-source_sof.html

As does Ross Anderson of Cambridge University. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/toulouse.pdf

Finally on Information Security in the UN generally I recommend: Shared
secrets: intelligence and collective security by Dr Simon
Chesterman. It might have something to support your
argument. http://www.lowyinstitute.org/publications/shared-secrets-intelligence-and-collective-security

I hope this is useful for you. Best of luck!

I'll just note these are my private views and they should not be
construed as an official position by my previous employer, the United
Nations.

Regards,

Paul Harper