ubuntu-on-rails team mailing list archive

Re: Rubinius for Natty!

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 12:30 +0000, John Leach wrote:

> > I just built rubinius package for Ubuntu natty.
> > Check our PPA[1] and give some feedback if You interested :)
>
> nice one! It installed and ran fine for me (I installed a couple of gems
> and could use them from irb :)

Smoke test passed :)

> I did notice that it is storing gems in /usr/lib/rubinius/gems whereas
> the mri rubygems package stores them in /var/lib/gems  Is there some
> reason it can't use /var/lib/gems ?

Yes, This part is still a little bit ugly koz rubinius provide
pre-installed gems and they should be installed in location different
from /var/lib/gems in order to not be owerwritten by gem command.

Probably right way is to move preinstalled gems to /usr/lib/rubinius and
use /var/lib/gems for gems installed via rubygems. But this requires
some hacking on rubinius side.

What do You think?

--
xmpp:self@xxxxxxxxxxx