ubuntu-packaging-guide-team team mailing list archive

Re: lp:~barry/ubuntu-packaging-guide/udd into lp:ubuntu-packaging-guide

On Feb 26, 2011, at 06:18 AM, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:

>These additions to the documentation are very valuable, +1 from me. Wrt. the
>delete section on branching, it is a good section, and we should not lose
>it. However, I think it should be specified quite clear(ly that there are two
>ways of working with sources, one is the "Debian classic" way using source
>packages (dget/dput) the other is using Bazaar and branching.

Note that we're not losing the information on branching, just moving it to a
more detailed section on a different page.  We could bring back the 'quick
hint' information though.

Agreed about classic vs. udd, but that's for another branch. :)

>A final comment: Anyone wanting to work with source packages and bug fixing
>really ought to install the ubuntu-dev-tools package, there is so much useful
>stuff in there that greatly eases your work. Afaik there is no central
>documentation of these tools anywhere, so perhaps this is the place?

I've noticed the same thing myself.  u-d-t really should get better
documentation, but it probably wouldn't hurt to document at least a summary of
the tools (and why you'd want to use them) here.  It would be the one place
where an overview would be available.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~barry/ubuntu-packaging-guide/udd/+merge/48685
Your team Ubuntu Packaging Guide Team is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~barry/ubuntu-packaging-guide/udd into lp:ubuntu-packaging-guide.