ubuntu-packaging-guide-team team mailing list archive

Re: lp:~barry/ubuntu-packaging-guide/udd-update into lp:ubuntu-packaging-guide

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 03:31:46PM -0000, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 01, 2012, at 03:07 AM, Martin Pool wrote:
> >+    $ bzr merge debianlp:squeeze/tomboy
> >
> >How does 'debianlp:' differ from 'debian:'?  Maybe you could explain?
>
> I think there actually is no debian: prefix.  IIRC, debianlp: was chosen to
> make it clear that it's grabbing the branch from Debian imported into
> Launchpad.  It was felt that debian: alone would imply grabbing the branch
> from the Debian VCS.
Yeah.

We have both debianlp: and apt:. Both might be relevant, depending on
what you're trying to do.

When merging from Debian inside of a UDD package, you probably want
debianlp: since that has shared history with ubuntu:. When
contributing back to an upstream Debian package (like
http://bzr.debian.org/bzr/pkg-bazaar/bzr/unstable, for bzr itself) you
probably want apt:bzr or something like that, which looks at the
Vcs-Bzr header in the package.

It would be nice if we could make the importer base its import
branches on the official Debian branches; that way this distinction
would become less important (and contributing back and forth to Debian
would become easier).

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~barry/ubuntu-packaging-guide/udd-update/+merge/90976
Your team Ubuntu Packaging Guide Team is subscribed to branch lp:ubuntu-packaging-guide.