Hello , XDA involvement , and introducing the user to the phone

Hello to everyone . I've subscribed to the list with much excitement to get involved with the Ubuntu Phone OS (UP OS). The preview of the OS seemed liked a lot of the stuff that I've wished for in a phone as a user and a developer . I can go on ,but lets keep it productive :) :

The XDA community - I think everyone on the list should be familiar with it , and if you are - you know of the great potential there . I myself cannot say I'm a part of it , I'm more of a spectator . But I decided to be the messenger to post about the ongoing petition to have the XDA developers take part in the Ubuntu Phone effort [1] . The OS will be open source and so forth ,and they may do as they like , but the idea is that if Cannonical recognises the XDA community and cooperates the work more or less with them - it will be a big gain for both sides (IMHO).

Now  , for what I have to say :
From all the reviews that I went through the productive part of it was : the gesture system will be hard to learn . So by my opinion it should be a priority to make a "Quick learning game"-type of thing . It's not something to throw in the marketing side of things , but it is something that every non-geek ,so to say, user should go through (more arguments : [2] ) . I see it as an app that the user is exposed to on the first use (I can't think of the best solution for xposure right now) , which goes like this :

1. Text "Take one min. to learn the main features and gestures for your phone " and a Start button 2. (maybe with voice instructions over it) A colored circle representing the finger of the user shows the gestures ( and the actions happen , but it's only plain video) 3. The app prompts for a few simple tasks (swipes) ,indicates the results and gives corrections for the common mistakes (or just productivity tips . An example is how for a few days when I got my first Android phone I struggled to pull down the notification area , because I thought I should put my finger on the actual notification bar instead of making a swipe from outside the display borders ) .

The whole thing should be over in 1.5-2 mins .

And something else ,that I'll start as a general topic some day : I think that in order to get people to understand the system and take part in developing it ( and not just using it as app developers or users) there should be an introduction to the core packages/components (and to the system as a whole) , consisting of : 1. The steps needed to build the package/component (and the recommended tools for it) . 2. A brief description of the main parts/functions (really brief , like ,just to give a direction for the people interested where to start) .

Those two simple steps integrated in a tab of Launchpad ("Get started" or whatever) will take away a looot of the resistance that potential contributors have to overcome .

I'll post a separate thread about the community workflow (on the Unity list), because I realize it's too big of a thread to put it here too .

All of this is because I really want the Ubuntu project to go forth as an open source endeavour . And the timing is crucial - the few months after announcing the final and key component of the project (the Phone OS) have the chance of being most productive . I have high hopes for Ubuntu striking contracts with carriers or device manufacturers , but lesser expectations . My expectations are high with the community , and that's why I really want to see more involvement , and a better ecosystem - because if there is a healthy community behind the project , it will have a lot more time and chance to get the commercial/mass realization (and => get more development and quality in) .

One more thought : the best chance for the Phone OS is by the Ubuntu users , not many other people will be tempted by a new OS , most of them are generally scared by it . I think the most tempting thing for a non-ubuntu user would be the ability to plug in the tv and have an instant media center (a preview where the tv remote is used will be killer , the XBMC on Raspberry Pi has such previews) + the ability to plug in a monitor/mouse keyboard and get a real desktop . (I dream of an FM transmitter too for the car but that's a whole different story :D )

Sorry for writing such a long email ,I really hope that it'll be in some use to the project .

Best regards,
Petko

[1] https://www.change.org/petitions/canonical-use-users-of-xda-developers-com-as-testers-for-ubuntu-for-phone [2] Learning the swipe and whatever other gestures most efficiently perceived by watching and trying , i.e. the motoric (muscle) memory is the thing to use here .