Re: "Ubuntu Phone Core Apps Project" questions

On 01/24/2013 12:10 PM, Michel Renon wrote:
Hi,

The "Ubuntu Phone Core Apps Project" has been launched and I have few questions :

- what is the limit date for proposals ?

- should we consider portrait only or portrait&landscape ?

- which screen size should we consider ?
    - min/max for screen size ?
    - only for phone, or for tablets too ?

- what are the specs of
    - notifications ?
    - integrated copy/paste ?
or what is the std UX way for apps to send notifications, copy/paste ?

Btw, it's a great design process, well organized. Sure it'll be a hit !

Thanks,

Michel

I try answer those questions I can answer with high confidence :)

About orientation:

I would recommend to start with the portrait design. Orientation sensor handling will arrive to the SDK soon, but it is not there yet. Note that the Qt 5.0.0 final release did not contain the good old qtsensors module. So we need to be extra cautious that the way we approach the sensors are not causing fragmentation or divergence. In this case we decided to take the safe road and figure out the future of the qtsensors module and related APIs. But it will come, I promise :)

Screen size:

I would suggest to take a look at the resolution independence feature of the SDK (http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/ubuntu-12.10/qml/mobile/resolution-independence.html) and try to develop apps independent from the form factor. More display size and resolution your app looks good more users will like it :)

Integrated copy/paste?