Re: [Calculator] Design problems

Den 02-03-2013 22:03, Dalius skrev:
Hi,

So with calculator we have following problem: we have not followed completely proposed design from Canonical and made it more complicated. Basically question is if we should show less in screen (as in design) or more (as implemented). Less will mean that we would need to remove scientific buttons and some other functionality now. That adds some limitations as well IMO. I would like to hear community opinion and preferences.

Here I have tried to sum up what problems I see with too much simplicity:
http://devblog.sandbox.lt/ubuntu_phone_calculator_design.html

Regards,
Dalius

Hi Dalius,

I really like your work on the calculator app.
In particular, I find the continuous evaluation model and lack of "=" button refreshing. Likewise the lack of explicit multiplication in the expression '2 sin(?/2)' is awesome. In your demo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fG82OfX04, the expression is entered as 5×6+(2sin(?/2)). It would be perfect, if you can enter it just as 5×6+2sin(?/2).

You model has a lot of advantages, and I think it will be perfect for a scientific or advanced mode of the calculator app.

In the basic mode, which Canonical is focusing on, I think your stationary example can be solved by keeping the multiplications together, and only change to a new line at addition (and subtraction).

That could look a bit like:

Pencils:         5×1.05=5.25
Paper:   +     7×10.00=70
Scissors: +8×28.79=230,32
Total:                        305,57

A new line is created when '+' or '-' are pressed, not when '×' or '÷' are pressed.

Personally, I prefer '/' over '÷' for division, as I find '-' and '÷' too similar, and '÷' is sometimes used for subtraction, where I come from (Denmark).

Please keep up the great work on the calculator - it is a pleasure to follow.

All the best,
Thomas