Re: General questions

hi,
On Mi, 2013-04-03 at 11:43 +0200, Andreas Poulsen wrote:
> 2. How comes that it can't run Android apps? Ubuntu Phone builds on
> CyanogenMod, a customized android, and most users is missing the tons of
> apps you find on android. I know, that the Dalvik VM has been removed,
> but why? It seems like a good strategy, at least in the beginning, to
> make as many apps run on the platform as possible
unlike what many people claim, we are not using android ...
we are using the kernel and driver layer from android due to the fact
that there are no other drivers that are as widely available so you
wouldn't be able to port to other devices easily. Once there is an
actual device shipping Ubuntu Touch (i.e. something with full vendor
backing) that layer could even go away completely, who knows ...

> 3. The 13.4 Ubuntu image is tested on the Nexus 7 tablet. Why shouldn't
> I just install desktop Ubuntu on my tablet and theme it touch-friendly?

you are free to do that with the Ubuntu desktop image for the nexus7,
that's why we still have it around :)
you will not see any other image like this for other devices soon though
due to the lack of proper accelerated Xorg drivers from vendors.

ciao
	oli