Re: Ebook reader?

On Friday, 2013-05-17, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> On Fri 17 May 2013 13:53:05 BST, Andrew Fullam wrote:
> > I was wondering if there is anyone currently working on an ebook
> > reader for ubuntu touch? I have an empty house all weekend so I was
> > looking to take a stab at it if no one has already undertaken the task?
>
> I haven't worked on this, but I have thought about it quite a lot. :-)
>
> It is somewhere in between impossible and very nearly impossible to
> write a book reader in pure QML for Ubuntu Touch right now, sadly.

Well, QtQuick (assuming you wanted to refer to that UI framework when you
wrote QML) is a UI framework, not a data processing or application framework.
Those pieces are supplied by C++ code just like QtQuick itself being
implemented in C++.

One eBook reader for touch devices using QtQuick would be Okular Active
http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Software/Okular_on_touch_screens

Porting that or performing a similar port of a different content rendering
engine plus adding QtQuick display components should be possible even at the
current state of Ubuntu Touch.

Cheers,
Kevin