Re: Fwd: Ubuntu Touch on Emulator

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Chirayu Desai <chirayudesai1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 June 2013 02:24, Sergio Schvezov <sergio.schvezov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Chirayu Desai <chirayudesai1@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Hey everyone.
>> >
>> > I've got Ubuntu booting on the Android Emulator (QEMU).
>> > The display is black, but I'm able to get a shell, so I think that's
>> > good
>> > enough for a start.
>>
>> Yup looks like a good start.
>
> :)
>>

>> > It needs forking of two repositories from CyanogenMod:
>> > https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_sdk/tree/cm-10.1
>> > https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_goldfish
>> >
>> > build/ and bootable/recovery were merged from CyanogenMod, and then the
>> > below patches were applied.
>> > build/ merges with a minor conflict in tools/roomservice.py, which is
>> > easily
>> > fixable.
>> > Same for bootable/recovery, minor conflict in recovery.c
>> >
>> > Patches:
>> > bootable/recovery/
>> > https://gist.github.com/chirayudesai/5fb848f0b22a12990613
>>
>> Not sure this is needed since the we aren't including su in our
>> phablet-10.1 branch[1]
>

> It will be needed if you merge from CyanogenMod, and I would prefer that
> since we've got bug fixes from AOSP, some of our own, and some nice features
> :)
>
> Or we could start adbd in init.recovery.goldfish.rc

I'm leaving this open until I find out how the recovery work is
progressing[0], I'll be resolving this tomorrow (Monday).

>> > build/
>> > https://gist.github.com/chirayudesai/7805698423d89e46c1a3
>>
>> Good, locally applied (going to push soon)
>>
>> > device/generic/goldfish/
>> > https://gist.github.com/chirayudesai/b9008fd57e7b21abbee1
>>
>> Good
>>
>> > kernel/goldfish
>> > https://gist.github.com/chirayudesai/00607ba8b0856e37754c
>>
>> And here's the problem, let me explain further down.
>>
>> > https://gist.github.com/chirayudesai/3a4583e83ad68b47363e - needed to
>> > get
>> > ADB working.
>>
>> This link is broken.
>
> Yep, not needed, ignore it
>>

>> > After all of the patches have been applied to the respective
>> > directories, do
>> > the below.
>> > . build/envsetup.sh
>> > lunch cm_goldfish-eng
>> > mka goldfish
>>
>> This works but I like to breakfast and brunch :-)
>
> breakfast will pick userdebug, but we usually use eng for the emulator.
> brunch won't work, since it runs make bacon, and otapackage isn't a target
> for the emulator

You are right, but breakfast provides me with roomservice :-)

>> > This will build everything needed.
>> > Next, make a sdcard image using the `mksdcard` tool, which is used to
>> > install "saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip"
>> > Boot emulator into recovery with `emulator -partition-size 4096 -ramdisk
>> > $OUT/ramdisk-recovery.img -sdcard <path-to-sdcard>`
>> > Push the zip to /sdcard, and install it.
>> > After that, exit the emulator, and start it again with` emulator
>> > -partition-size 4096`
>> > `adb -e shell` will give you a shell :)
>>
>> The bullet proof test missing was to ubuntu_chroot or just chroot into
>> /data/ubuntu...
>> You will probably not be able to do anything since glibc
>> MIN_KERNEL_SUPPORTED := 2.6.32
>>

>> And the kernel for the emulator in that repo is 2.6.29
>

> I was able to do that, the default branch in that repository[1] contains the
> 3.4 kernel, and while I initially tested with 2.6.29, I switched to 3.4 as
> soon as I hit that
>

>> Any further thoughts on this?

Ok, so the build[1], device[2] and kernel[3] tree are in.
I've also added a cm.dependency of CyanogenMod/android_sdk to the device.

Let's see how this progresses :-)

Cheers
Sergio

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-1305-image-based-updates