Re: [design] Welcome screen suggestions

Hi,

Interesting topic. I'm no designer, but have thought a bit about this too,
lately.

On Monday 17 June 2013 11:17:13 Josh Leverette wrote:
> Ok, I'll be bluntly honest about this. I've lately begun to wonder if the
> Welcome screen at current is even worthwhile. From a pragmatic perspective,
> it provides only *useless information* to the user. Or, *Information which
> would never be acted on, under normal circumstances.* The number of tweets,
> emails, etc. that you've produced throughout whatever time period will have
> zero impact on anything you do on a daily basis, if ever.

I think the plan is to have a set of configurable sources for the infographics.
Without knowing where exactly it will go, I think there are some interesting
use cases for it. I for one would find it nice to have these informations in
there:

- Number of missed/unread events. This aggregates emails/sms/ims/followed
tweets/whatever into one number. The colored bubbles on the outside could act
like a clock and indicate the rough time when the event happened, assigning a
different color to each service type. That would allow you to immediately see
what you've missed judging by the colors if its worth looking at.

- Gimmicks like fitbit statistics, newsticker, maybe sports ticker.

- maybe a weatherforecast showing the upcoming weather in the colored bubbles.

All in all I think there are cool things possible with it. I agree with you
that more recent or even future data seems more useful than statistics of the
last month(s)

> If the user wants to adorn their welcome screen with aesthetically pleasing
> artwork, they should just have the option of throwing an awesome wallpaper
> up. From a design standpoint, I'd also wonder if it might look better to
> just place the time and date in a small, elegant, and unobtrusive font on
> the bottom left hand corner of the welcome screen and leave the rest of it
> clean and empty to showcase the user's chosen artwork... that is, if the
> user has elected not to show any of the active information I'm about to
> mention next.

Yes, I share the opinion that it should be possible to hide it from there.
Haven't put much thought into alternatives.

> Would it be possible for the welcome screen to provide a quick view of the
> weather (maybe *make *the welcome screen wallpaper a(n animated) graphic
> depiction of the weather, and perhaps annotate some data about the weather
> as well) and/or give an interactive view of unread notifications.
>
> In all cases (including keeping the current welcome screen), what if
> swiping up from the bottom of the welcome screen took the user directly
> into the camera, since it isn't being used for anything else on the welcome
> screen? Facebook phone took a severe beating from the media for having no
> quick access to the camera.

There is quick access to the camera through the left edge using the launcher.
That also works when the greeter is there.

What I miss the most, and dont even have an idea how to combine with the
current infographic, are media control buttons for the music player - given
that listening to music is my main use case for the mobile phone.

Br,
Michael