Re: Qt5 and touch performance issue

If we look at the ARCH of android, I think we need change the framwork, expecially activity manager, window manager, content providers, view system. If touch has such an ARCH chart, it would be easier to know what to do from the ARCH aspect.

From:  "Thomas Vo "<thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Date:  Thu, Jun 20, 2013 11:18 PM
To:  "leon lee"<llrraa@xxxxxx>;
Cc:  "ubuntu-phone"<ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Subject:  Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Qt5 and touch performance issue

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM, leon lee <llrraa@xxxxxx> wrote:
> When I say make android dvm available on touch, I mean keep the performance
> of touch, and make dvm adapted to touch. It means that we will change the
> framwork of android. this would be much helpful for touch's marketing.
> Don't worry about the "good enough" issue. The competition of app companies
> is tense. If touch's app performs better, and some of the companies would
> make use of it, and the others would have to follow up.
> Btw, why do I keep making new thread in the mailist?

Let us assume Ubuntu Touch would want to support Android apps:

Then we would not only need to pull in Dalvik (or an equivalent that
might need a lot of optimization to fly on mobile cpus) in its
functionality as an interpreter, but also walk through the complete
Android SDK & its class library and map all platform-specific
functionality down to the Ubuntu Touch platform. In essence, we would
need to re-implement huge portions of the SDK and maintain it over
time, as both the Android SDK and the Ubuntu Touch platform evolves.
While this is certainly doable from a technical perspective, I think
that two major issues need to be considered here first:

  (1.) There will certainly be areas in the Android SDK that we either
don't want or simply can't map to Ubuntu Touch.
  (2.) The sheer size of the overall Android SDK.

To address (1.) and (2.) we could start over with inspecting the
Android SDK and the class library and check for individual
namespaces/classes if there is an equivalent on Ubuntu Touch that they
map to. If so, it would be quite interesting to know how prominent the
component is for app developers in order to be able to prioritize the
porting effort.

Any help with this preliminary evaluation would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

  Thomas