GSettings schemas for phone/tablet settings

Hi all,

In the system-settings team we've been talking about how we're going to
be using GSettings to store the values that have been set in the
application, where there's no existing location or clear application
which is the owner. Things like the three toggles we have at the top:
rotation lock/flight mode/GPS are good examples.

The two questions I have currently are

  Who should own the schemas (~which package should ship them)?

   1. The system-settings application itself.
   2. Each 'owning' application.
   3. A central place analagous to gsettings-desktop-schemas.

  What namespace should we use?

   1. com.canonical(.?)
   2. com.ubuntu(.?)

For my part I prefer option 3 to the first question as it lowers the
barrier for making changes. I don't really have an opinion on the second
except weakly preferring option 2 as it has 'project' connotations.

Thoughts? I'd like to get moving on being able to define schemas and
start making the system-settings application set and retrieve keys so
that app (and system) developers are able to start respecting them.

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]