Re: GSettings schemas for phone/tablet settings

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:25:34AM -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> > […]
> > Some of the core apps (Clock and Weather are such examples) might need
> > to get system-wide settings such as the current location or time zone
> > (assuming that is stored in the system settings app).
>
> GSettings is the wrong location for that. Current location and time zone
> settings should be queried using dbus from org.freedesktop.timedate1, and the
> GPS service (not sure where that is yet).

Indeed — the intention is to use existing interfaces where they exist
and only put things into these new schemas where we don't have anything
already.

That isn't to say that applications won't have a legitimate need to read
information out of GSettings, just that it won't necessarily be the
place where everything is stored.

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]