Re: Power management policy

to throttle something actually means to slow it down, just for future
reference.

But, yes. A less rigorously enforced policy that mimics what Apple does
with background apps is something I would approve of. If an application
asks permission to run in the background, then that's fine, but I don't
want apps to run in the background by default. Configurability is key here,
but the benefits of what iOS does outweigh the downsides for most
situations, and Linux already has this functionality built in. The STOP and
CONT signals will do exactly what you would imagine them to do.
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/11/23/how-to-pause-a-linux-process/