Re: Applications spawning other Applications

On Friday 19 July 2013 08:04:12 Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On 13-07-19 07:11 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:

> >> Well, that only really means file:// needs to be disabled, right? So if
> >> you want to access any local data, you have to go through content
> >> management (but even then, gallery has both photos and videos, for
> >> example - apps aren't limited to one mime type).
> >
> > Seems like this would be the appropriate API to do this:
> >
> > http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtgui/qdesktopservices.html
> >
> > Is anyone already working on providing a backend implementation suited for
> > our needs for this?
>
> A confined app wouldn't be allowed to spawn processes directly using
> qdesktopservices, so it needs to be done via a separate trusted helper,
> likely over dbus.

Shouldn't the policy and D-Bus things be hidden in the backend implementation
of QDesktopServices? If an app is not allowed to open a certain mime type,
this wouldn't just do anything or, if the api allows it, report an error back.

I don't think we should add some new module doing the same as QDesktopServices
with a different API. That would increase porting efforts for apps. But maybe I
just read your comment wrong and you actually mean the same thing as I do?

Br,
Michael