Soft-bricked Nexus 7 with Ubuntu Phone

Hello all,

My name is John Kim, a newcomer to the Ubuntu Phone community, and I contribute to Ubuntu Docs and Quality team. For the Quality team, I intend to start writing automated testcases for core apps. My first task will be the music-app.

My development environment is complete. I installed the Ubuntu SDK and Qt Creator on my 13.10 laptop, and I successfully installed Ubuntu Phone into my Nexus 7 as well as SSH to it. I personally prefer to ssh over USB than over IP because it's just faster.

Normally, after minutes of inactivity, my Nexus 7 will power off on its own. I can power again after holding the power button for a moment. But as soon as I ran the music-app testcases with my Nexus 7 plugged in (QtCreator recognized it and set the device as development), which failed, my Nexus 7 was missing a music and video app icon. *When it powered down, my Nexus 7 would get stuck perpetually in the Google screen with the unlocked lock image at the bottom. * The only way I could turn it off was hold the power and the volume down button, and go to "Power Off"; otherwise, my Nexus 7 will reboot back to the boot screen over and over again.

I would like to know how I can restore my device with a fresh Ubuntu Phone build. I haven't tried yet, but I'm quite sure that 'adb devices' won't recognize my Nexus 7 on neither the fastboot mode nor the Google screen.

Thanks!

--
John Kim
Ubuntu QA & Doc Contributor