WiFi Calling - most wanted mobile-phone feature

My most desired mobile-phone feature is being able to make and receive calls over a WPA2 secured WiFi network. This is a feature I wish the Ubuntu Edge offered. I'd take WiFi Calling over any other mobile-phone feature/technology.

My hope is that one day soon mobile-phone tech can provide Voice over WiFi. I'd like to be able to do the following:
-disable the Cellular Antenna when at home/work but have the WiFi antenna enabled.
-enable the Cellular Antenna when away from home/work & have WiFi antenna disabled

This would remove congestion from cellular networks and also eliminate poor coverage problems within buildings and rural home areas. This is the feature/tech I want more than any other in the mobile-phone market.

Are companies working towards providing this feature? Why isn't more being done to bring this capabilitiy to mobile phones? What prevented Ubuntu Edge from offering this feature?

Follow ups