Re: Full-disk Encryption on Touch?

Sure, I understand everyone is tracked. However, there are still privacy concerns with search data going to 3rd parties. Plus it eats into my data allotment.

1) data being sent to Amazon counts as data use. So if I don't want that data sent to Amazon anyways, I have even more incentive to disable it--it saves me money and data use.

2) searching for a movie can and cannot be an "innocuous" search. Other searches might be more personal and having it stored on some database of searches can make people uncomfortable. It could also be used by others for advertising, stereotyping, health insurance decisions etc. I think users should be able to control the data leaving their computer and I think that users should be able to configure their computing devices so that (if they choose) data are only sent at their direction to the entities they are purposely interacting with. I have more respect for software that gives users this configuration capability.

From: coder543@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:02:31 -0500
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Full-disk Encryption on Touch?
To: mttbrnsmls@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1) Read at least the first 3 or 4 posts here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1j166z/hi_im_mark_shuttleworth_founder_of_ubuntu/cba28et

2) It might require a little work, but yes. it should be possible to disable lenses, but I doubt that functionality will be built-in in the initial release (meaning you might have to delete a few files, or some such).

(the following is my personal opinion, it's not required reading)
I will suggest that the home lenses are not really leaking data. There's no dedicated shopping lens as yet, but the only data that could possibly be """leaked""" (based on currently available descriptions of the future design of the lenses) is if you go to the movies lens and do a search for "Serenity." It might provide the results of the same query on sites that sell movies (such as Amazon), which would amount to giving you a convenient way to get movies you don't already own. This functionality hasn't even been implemented yet, so there's no guarantee of how it will work, but I'm wondering how you could ever be discomfited by that """leak""" of information (yes, I've triple-quoted that word because of how not applicable it is to the situation) that I just described.

They know that some user on some phone somewhere (very specific information, of course) enjoys watching Sci-Fi, listening to acoustic music, and reading the works of Isaac Asimov. They still know nothing useful, and they don't even know who you are to begin with unless you sign in for them, and this is only assuming you're actually using the search field. If you don't want them to know something, just don't search for it.

If personally identifiable information (PII) were being leaked, this would be an entirely different discussion.
As a reminder to everyone who is concerned about privacy, your phone can be tracked without any special software running on your phone, as long as it is connected to a cellular network. If the government wants to have a log of where you are at all times, it is possible for them to do it no matter what type of phone you have.

There are far worse fates than Amazon being able to help you find what you're looking for faster, in my opinion.