Ubuntu Touch Porting clinic today

Hello everybody,

Ubuntu Touch has been ported to LOTS of devices in the meantime. If we
consult our Touch Devices list [1], there are 45 working ports, with 30
more in progress, and across 21 different brands. This is awesome. Now
it’s time to bring all of them into the fold.

There are two things we have to do:

 1. Update some of the ports to the flipped container model [2].
    This switch has been happening over the last couple of weeks,
    but we’re there now. Android bits now run on top of an Ubuntu
    container. Some of the images still need to be updated to
    benefit from this.

 2. Enable the ports in phablet-flash.
    Yes, you read correctly. Since the announce of the Touch
    preview, we only supported four devices (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4,
    Nexus 7 and Nexus 10). We always wanted to make it easier to
    flash all other devices too, and now we’re almost there: If you
    as an image maintainer make some information available [3],
    phablet-flash will soon be able to pick it up.

Updating your image to the new world order is something we are
discussing today, 1st August, in #ubuntu-touch on irc.freenode.net. We
are having an Ubuntu Touch Porting Clinic today. So bring your device,
your questions and we’ll help you get set up for the new image formats.

If you want your images to be supported by phablet-flash, that can be
easily arranged too. Follow this process [3], to document how the
flashing of your image works. Check out the latest branch of
phablet-flash (not yet landed in trunk) to try out if your image works:
lp:~sergiusens/phablet-tools/flash_change.

As always: if you have any questions, talk to us on #ubuntu-touch on
irc.freenode.net or on this mailing list.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/PortingFlippedInProgress
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/MakingPortsAvailable

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! developer.ubuntu.com/packaging
Follow @ubuntudev on identi.ca/twitter.com/facebook.com/G+

Follow ups